Single NIC multiple configurations

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 18:36:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 13:53, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Michael Griffin wrote:
>
> >I have a laptop with a single NIC which I use for both work and home.
> >Obviously my network settings are different but I was wondering if I
> >could set it up so that the correct configuration would come up
> >depending upon which environment I was in.  I am not opposed to manually
> >bringing the network up or down in each, setting, I am just wondering
> >what would be a "best practice".
> >
> >I was/am considering using aliasing (eth0:0, eth0:1), but I am not sure
> >how I would go about it.
> >
> >All responses appreciated,
> >
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Michael
> >

> Use multiple network profiles as configured via system-config-network on
> FC2 or redhat-config-network on FC1.

I like that solution!

If you have dhcp at work and at home you can use that to handle the
configuration of ip/dns/gateway.  Most work places utilize dhcp for some
if not all of their clients.  At home many of the low priced firewalls
provide dhcp services for the LAN.

I use dhcp at home on a linksys WRT54G.  I just connect to the network
either at home or work and my system is assigned the required network
options.

But if you have to hard code them then the previous answer is the way to
go.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

What is research but a blind date with knowledge?
		-- Will Harvey