FC-1 firewall script for bittorrent

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Jun 15 03:01:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 03:27, Erik Espinoza wrote:
> Without unblocking the ports bittorrent will indeed work, as you can
> attest to. The problem is that by default your firewall will only
> allow ESTABLISHED connection to requests made by your IP. This means
> that people can't connect to your machine to request downloads. This
> also means that users can't directly upload to you, based on the
> trackers instructions.

Oh. Oh crap. No wonder I've always thought bittorrent seemed slower than
everyone else says.

> Long story short, you get less connections established for your
> transfer, which translate to much slower speeds. After I unblocked
> those ports on my system, my bt's went from an average of 4-10 to more
> like 15 to max download speed of my line.

Right.

Now, what interests me is if the gui version of
system-config-securitylevel is up to opening up ports 6881-6889? There's
a "Other ports: (1029:tcp)" entry box in the dialog, but it's not quite
clear what you are meant to put in there. I can add the lines you posted
by hand to /etc/sysconfig/iptables and do

sudo /sbin/service iptables restart

but it would be nice to know if this is just doable from the gui.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com