Configuring a usb adsl wan modem on linux

I have a usb adsl modem. In windows I use the globespan virata drivers. I
have just done a fresh install of redhat linux 9 on my computer. how can I
configure linux to use my modem for internet. do I need to uprade my kernel
or recompile my current kernel ? where can i get the drivers for my modem ?
plz help ...

Vikram