prelink breaks VMware 4.5.2 on FC2?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 12:42:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:48:19 +0100, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:32:58AM +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:03:59 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> Here's an optimized version: ;)
> echo "#VMWare blacklist"
> vmpath=$(dirname $(which vmware))
> sed -ne 's/.*LIBDIR/-b/p' \
>         `sed -ne 's|db_load.*vm_db[^/]*\(.*\).$|\1|p' $vmpath/vmware`
> file $vmpath/vm{net*,ware*} |\
>         sed -ne '/ELF/{s/:.*//;s/^/-b /p}'

Nice! Although I favour readability over compactness, since it facilitates
easier modification.

>> > I'll be appending this fix to my support ticket at VMware.com and
>> > hopefully they might include a post-install script to the next RPM to
>> > make sure the above is present.
>>
>> Great, but that's only a workaround, not a fix. They need to
>> investigate what is broken in their software that causes prelinking to
>> break it. This is a fairly common problem with proprietary software.
>
> I had last night prelink breaking my gnome installation on fedora core
> 1. It could have been caused by my installing gnome with yum install
> gnome-session, but it just goes to prove that not only proprietary
> software has problems in that area..

Sure, I didn't suggest that it was *never* a problem with OSS, just that
it is a common problem with proprietary software. OSS software can be
easily and legitimately debugged downstream, whereas proprietary software
can not. Also, proprietary software very often tends to be statically
linked, compiled in old or non-standard build environments, use
proprietary install methods, ignore the FHS, and generally not function in
a standards-compliant way.

WRT Gnome, what RPM release are you using, since I've not seen that
problem before. If it is a fedora.us/redhat.com stable release then you
should definitely file a Bugzilla on that one.

-
K.