Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:22:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:53:41 -0700 (PDT), Don Russell
<don at drussell.dnsalias.com> wrote:
> Here's how I see it working...
>
> When new packages are ready to be distributed....
> - reset the list of sites that serve up2date to the single master site
> - move new versions of the pakages to the master site.
> - start a cron job in xxx minutes (gives some mirrors a chance to re-synch)
>
> the cron job does:
> - for each mirror site (not already known to be synch'd)
>    - get directory listing
>    - compare to master directory listing
>    - if directory matches, site must be synch'd
>         - make mirror site eligible to participate in serving up2date
>
> After checking all mirrors, if one or more are still not synch'd, schedule
> the job again in xxx minutes
>
> If all mirrors are now synch'd, we're done.
>
> The whole design fits on a bar napkin.
>
> And very little bandwidth to accomplish it... up2date now only sees sites
> that are synch'd.... new mirror sites can be added dynamically as
> required.
>
> I LIKE it! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Don Russell

Hmm....can someone out in the community prototype this cronjob idea up.
The logic of this could easily be extended the extra step so that this
could be implemented outside of fedora.redhat.com at a community
mirrorlist location
for testing.  I'm more than willing to reconfig my up2date on one of
my fc2 boxes
to use alternative yum-mirror entries.

One concern I have is the policy contraints around doing a dynamic
cronjob on the master server. Technically, this could be done, but I
am unsure of the policy surrounding the server setup and whether a
dynamic cronjob is even allowed. But there is no reason why someone
out in the community couldn't test and implement this cronjob idea and
provide an alternative mirror-list location to see if this works.

-jef