Adding item to start menu

I have attempted to add items to my start menu in the
gnome desktop.  I have tried both as root and user but
to no avail.  When I right click in the start menu and
select "Entire Menu" the "Add item to this menu" is
grayed out.  I am using FC2.  I am able to add to the
desktop and the panel but not the menu.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Edward [Mac] McSheehy