DNS Server setup?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Jun 15 15:12:01 UTC 2004

At 04:04 6/15/2004, david wrote:
>Im trying 2 setup the DNS server.
>The first dialog requires me to enter 1 of the following:
>         Forward Master Zone
>         Reserve Master Zone
>         Slave Zone

What are you actually trying to do? DNS is a critical service, since
without it Internet access will effectively be broken as far as your users
are concerned. So it is very important that DNS works all the time without
errors.

If you can give more details on what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps
we may be of more assistance. In the meantime, if you want a short
description of the most basic terms and concepts in DNS, try reading my
"DNS First Steps" document, which you can reach from here:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

It should provide you with a first step as an introduction. Then, for
greater depth I recommend the "DNS HOWTO" at LDP which others have already
recommended. And of course you can post more questions on this list as well
after you read those documents.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz