NDISwrapper and wlan0 under iwconfig

Timothy Wagner tkw722 at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 15 18:51:50 UTC 2004

Ladies and Gentlemen!

A friend of mine has a Belkin 802.11b wi-fi pci card in his desktop. The
best and most reliable way to get this going that I've found so far is
using NDISwrapper. First of all, if anyone else knows of a great driver
for this card then I am completely all ears. However, I have had
excellent performance with my Belkin 802.11g card using NDISwrapper so I
think it will work for his too. His chipset (Realtek 8180) is supported
by NDISwrapper. Anyway, the problem he is having is that when he gets
"wlan0" created into iwconfig he can't edit it. He tries to edit
settings like mode, or encryption key, or ESSID, or anything and nothing
changes. None of the things he sets will be changed. Therefore, he is
having significant trouble getting his wi-fi card to get onto any
routers. Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? Thanks!

-Tim