FC2 Issues

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 15 20:09:26 UTC 2004

srb wrote:

>> Redhat has been my linux of choice for 6 years

> Why don't you just use Redhat then? From what I understand, Fedora is a
> public testing platform... Redhat is the stable version.

While the OP was over the top in his reaction to two bugs,
which I thought had both been fixed,
there is something in his complaint.

I find this word "stable" generally heralds some silly remark.
Surely Fedora-2 is meant to work as is?
And if it doesn't then there is a bug,
which should be fixed as soon as possible.
You shouldn't excuse bugs by saying "Fedora is not stable".

In my view, Fedora-(n+1) should work at least as well as Fedora-n
on all systems,
and if an "improvement" is known not to work on some machines
it should be eschewed.

I've been disappointed to find Xorg does not work as well as XFree86
on my Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) with ATI Rage Mobility video board.
It's impossible to get the same 1024x480x16bpp which I had with FC-1,
and in fact with all RedHat versions for several years.
I've posted an Xorg bug report, and seen an FC-2 bug report
raising exactly the same point,
but I've seen no evidence either report has been read.
(There have been many other postings about ATI Rage under FC-2.)

Now this is using the "ati" driver intended explicitly for ATI cards,
so there is something wrong in my view if it does not work
with the same cards that the previous version worked with.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366