Contents of /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/route-eth0

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Tue Jun 15 21:08:10 UTC 2004

On FC2.

I've seen discussion online that indicates these files should contain
things like

	GATEWAY0=x.x.x.x
	ADDRESS0=x.x.x.x

and I've seen things that say it should contain arguments to route add
(from /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.53/sysconfig.txt).

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-<interface-name>
>
>   Contains lines that are arguments to "/sbin/ip route add"
>   For example:
>
>   192.168.2.0/24 dev ppp0
>
>   adds a network route to the 192.168.2.0 network through ppp0.

I think the GUI configuration tools have set up route-eth0 as in the
first case, but that doesn't seem to set the route properly on boot
(the active counterparts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts contain the
same stuff).

Now, I know I can make this stuff work by adding lines to rc.local, but
I'd like to do it "the right way", so that GUI tools reflect the state,
and people and processes other than myself can figure out what's going
on (not to mention, when I revisit this in 6 months, I will be able to
look up somewhere how I did all this, rather than remembering my
specific hacks).

Can someone clarify what's supposed to be in these files? In this
particular case, I'm setting up this box as a router (NAT, firewall,
VPN stuff, etc). It's working, but the default route to the outside
world always has to be entered by hand, rather than coming up
automatically at boot).

Thanks!

--
Rick

To never die and to conquer all, that is winning.
-- Illyria, _Angel_