Contents of /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/route-eth0

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Jun 15 21:28:10 UTC 2004

At 15:08 6/15/2004, Rick Mann wrote:
>Can someone clarify what's supposed to be in these files? In this
>particular case, I'm setting up this box as a router (NAT, firewall, VPN
>stuff, etc). It's working, but the default route to the outside world
>always has to be entered by hand, rather than coming up automatically at boot).

Do this:

         1. For interfaces where this box is the gateway (i.e. your
internal interface is 192.168.1.1 and *that* is the gateway address for the
LAN), do not set a GATEWAY line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.

         2. For interfaces where this box is *not* the gateway, set the
GATEWAY line in the ifcfg-ethX file.

         3. Set "GATEWAYDEV=eth0" in /etc/sysconfig/network.

Restart the network. You should be OK. If not, post the output of "route
-n" and the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network plus the relevant ifcfg-ethX
files. Make sure that firewall is cleared and disabled *before* you do this
to avoid distractions.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz