source vs sourcecode

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Jun 15 21:54:11 UTC 2004

Scott Sloan wrote:

> [...]
>
>[root at Blacksmith root]# yum update kernel-source
>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>Server: Atrpms.net
>Server: Core Packages
>Server: Dag
>Server: Evolution Devel Snaps
>Server: Fedora.us
>Server: Freshrpms
>Server: Livna
>Server: Fedora Core GStreamer
>Server: Fedora Core GStreamer dependencies
>Server: J5's Experimental Project Utopia Repository
>Server: New rpms's
>Server: Fedora Updates
>Finding updated packages
>Downloading needed headers
>No Packages Available for Update
>No actions to take
>[root at Blacksmith root]#
>
>Yum could not find an update for it... so yum doesn't see it as an update because string(kernel-sourcecode) != string(kernel-source) What happens if we do this
>
>[root at Blacksmith root]# yum update kernel-sourcecode
>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>Server: Atrpms.net
>Server: Core Packages
>Server: Dag
>Server: Evolution Devel Snaps
>Server: Fedora.us
>Server: Freshrpms
>Server: Livna
>Server: Fedora Core GStreamer
>Server: Fedora Core GStreamer dependencies
>Server: J5's Experimental Project Utopia Repository
>Server: New rpms's
>Server: Fedora Updates
>Finding updated packages
>Downloading needed headers
>No Packages Available for Update
>No actions to take
>[root at Blacksmith root]#
>
>Since there is no kernel-sourcecode in the rpmdb it can't update it
>
>But finds it in a search since "kernel-source" is contained in kernel-sourcecode.
>
>[root at Blacksmith root]# yum search kernel-source
>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>Server: Atrpms.net
>Server: Core Packages
>Server: Dag
>Server: Evolution Devel Snaps
>Server: Fedora.us
>Server: Freshrpms
>Server: Livna
>Server: Fedora Core GStreamer
>Server: Fedora Core GStreamer dependencies
>Server: J5's Experimental Project Utopia Repository
>Server: New rpms's
>Server: Fedora Updates
>Finding updated packages
>Downloading needed headers
>Looking in available packages for a providing package
>Available package: kernel-sourcecode.noarch 0:2.6.6-1.435 from updates matches with
> kernel-sourcecode
>1 results returned
>[root at Blacksmith root]#
>

>I would think this isn't a bug because if you were to have all "almost like" strings updating other almost-like packages, your kernel-source could be overwritten with

No , it wouldnt. Yum should do the same thing as "rpm -q --provides
kernel-sourcecode" , which returns

pedro at tirael /var/ $ rpm -q --provides kernel-sourcecode
kernel-source
kernel-sourcecode = 2.6.6-1.427
pedro at tirael /var/ $
as I pointed earlier. Then , it should see that kernel-sourcecode provides kernel-source , remove it and then install kernel-sourcecode. That's why RPM has the Provides section. Then , this *is* a bug , as yum should download and install kernel-sourcecode as it provides kernel-source (as told by the RPM itself).

--
Pedro Macedo