SOLVED: Contents of /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/route-eth0

Steven Bonneville sbonnevi at redhat.com
Tue Jun 15 23:30:12 UTC 2004

Rick Mann wrote:
> Now, what's the proper content of route-eth0? Is it arguments to route,
> or is it name-value pairs?

See /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes for enlightenment.  :)
I'm used to using arguments to '/sbin/ip route add', but you can
use ADDRESSn/NETMASKn/GATEWAYn syntax instead.  I believe that you
can not mix the two syntaxes.

Example.  Assume your eth0 device has the address 192.168.0.1 on the
192.168.0 network.  You want to set a static route through the router
192.168.0.35 to reach the 10.0.35.0 network (netmask 255.255.255.0).
Using the 'ip route' syntax, the entry in route-eth0 might read

  10.0.35.0/24 via 192.168.0.35

or

  ADDRESS0=10.0.35.0
  NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
  GATEWAY0=192.168.0.35

which the script converts into the first version and feeds to /sbin/ip
to set the route.

  -- Steve Bonneville