Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Wed Jun 16 00:45:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Then how does one access the file system? If it's just like FTP then
> It's not gonna be v useful.

it's a browser, just like a windows point and click interface, except you
put and get using command line. It still access the filesystem using
ls/dir etc...

I guess I misunderstood your initial requirements, sorry. The cadaver
comment was just meant to show that theres interoperability there.

> Right now, I'm on a Linux Box connecting to another LInux Samba File
> server

So you have a linux filesystem that is accessed by samba and then using
samba is sent to the rest of the world ? Remember that SMB is a windows
evolved protocol, and was never intended for linux to linux communication
(altho I'm sure it'll work for that).

hmm.. is TCP NFS (as opposed to udp) any better for you ?

What is the aggregate bandwidth between the two boxes ? If this is over
the internet _any_ solution you pick is likely to get shitty performance.
:)

I still think webdav is a reasonable solution. I suggest investigating it
and then getting back to me :)

Cheers,

Al