Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 16 02:33:49 UTC 2004

>> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 16:20, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>>> One other thing, Since it's doing port forwarding, I realise that the
>>> xterm window which is doing the ssh -C -N command must stay open. it's a
>>> nuisance, but hey, it works.

I like to monitor the ssh-portforwading connection (sometimes
disconnect/reconnect). Hence - I allocate this xterm for it.

Ideally it would be an applet in some corner (similar to rhn applet)
with green/orange/red for - active/hung(waiting for tcp
timeout)/disconnected states - and a couple of mouse bindings for the
operations connect/disconnect/reconnect.

However a simple alternative is to just run it in the background and
monitor it by other means..

Satish