Icon captions in Nautilus don't work

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff+list at imap.cc
Wed Jun 16 05:07:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 21:43, Keith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 17:02, Alex Viskovatoff wrote:
> >
> > The documentation for Nautilus states:
> >
> >   An icon caption displays the name of a file or folder in an icon
> >   view. The icon caption also includes three additional items of
> >   information on the file or folder. The additional information is
> >   displayed after the file name. Normally only one item of information
> >   is visible, but when you zoom in on an icon, more of the information
> >   is displayed.
> >
> > This doesn't work on my system. [snip]
>
> I know that KDE does what you describe. but I don't think nautilus acts
> like that when you place a mouse pointer over the icon. The menu items
> you mention have to do with the displayed information. File information
> is also displayed at the bottom of nautilus.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, that means that the Gnome documentation is inaccurate, to say the
least. But also, it is unclear what is the purpose of the "Icon
captions" tab in "File management preferences", which one gets when one
selects the "Preferences" menu item in a Nautilus window. So I'm led to
believe that the problem isn't my system, but that this particular
feature of Nautilus hasn't been implemented yet.

So is this a bug? (I get information displayed at the bottom of
nautilus, as you indicate, but that relates to the directory one is
working in, not to icons one is moving the pointer over.)