Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Wed Jun 16 05:16:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> 1. lupfs
> 2. WebDAV. which, to me, unless it can be mounted and I can
> perform a File->Save and browse to it, won't be of much use to me.
>
> I'll see how it goes

Have you considered something a little less interactive such as CVS ? It
sounds like you are collaborating with people in a different place,
perhaps it would be better to keep your data under CVS, then do the 'check
out, edit, check in' cycle ?

Transport for that would be ssh with the same performance you would
expect.

shfs looks very nice, but I really would advise against any sort of
interactive filesystem access across a WAN link. You're just going to get
yourself into a world of pain. By attempting to avoid that extra little
'push the data back to the server' step you will ultimately slow down your
overall workflow since you will sit waiting and twiddling your thumbs for
_EVERY_ file operation to the remote filesystem.

Better to edit the data locally then push it by some of the many available
methods (webdav, http put, cvs, rsync, etc...)

I've been doing this a long time (10+ years) so I'm not a newbie here :)

Cheers,

Al