Can I share a modem with a windows machine?

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 16 07:58:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:07:45AM +0200, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> Peter Boy wrote:
> >Am Di, den 15.06.2004 schrieb A.J. Bonnema um 10:35:
> >
> >>How can I share a modem with a windows machine?
> >

> >In terms of a locally available remote resource (to establish a point to
> >point connection between your windows machine and a target) you are out
> >of luck, as to my knowledge.
>
> I hope I understand you here. I want to use the modem connected to my
> linux machine, from a different windows machine (which has no modem).
> You are saying that is not possible?

If you want to use the modem on Linux to connect to your ISP and then
connect the windows machine to the Internet through the Linux machine
you can.

A better question:
  Can a Linux machine route tcp/ip data from a modem link to a local net
  that contains a windows box?   A: -- yes.

First set up the Linux machine to connect to your service in the normal ways.
This is documented and there are tools to help.

Next network the windows box and the linux machine (local ethernet).
If you have no clue use 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 as IP address
numbers for the ethernet links on these two boxes.

Use Putty (you need to download this) on the windows box to connect with
ssh on the linux machine.  The only port you should have open on the
Linux box at this time is the ssh port.  You will want Cygwin on
windows eventually.

Turn on packet forwarding/ routing on Linux.  Look for NAT setup
configuration in the Redhat documents.  This is much the same deal as
two ethernet ports and a cable modem gateway NAT setup.  There are
lots of hints on this.

Connect the Linux box to the Internet by hand and test.  Then from the
windows box test.

Dial and disconnect on demand from the Windows box will be a hack.
We can get back to that.

There are other uses for modems, in/out fax, in/out telnet,  and stuff.
It can get interesting if all the possible junk is tossed in the wish
list at once.

One possible optimization that this gives you is the opportunity to
put a squid proxy to cache web pages and conserve modem speed
bandwidth.  But first things first...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l