FC2 not finding things..??

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Jun 16 13:11:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 04:51, Ted Gervais wrote:
> I am wondering why Linux (FC2) can't find all the hardware
> attachments/applications that are attached to one's computer. I am
> thinking of printers, scanners, etc..
>
> I ask this because Windows finds these things so well?  And Linux is
> supposed to be better.  So, why are these devices not found when booting
> up Linux?
>
> With each new Kernel there is always hope that these little
> 'differences' will be resolved. And with new releases such as FC2 our
> further expectations are increased.  But these little differences are
> not found or fixed. And yet, the Windows Operating System does so well
> with this stuff??
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this. I am not a Windows supporter but do
> use it on one of my machines. I am always amazed to find that windows
> finds my scanners without any difficulty and yet Linux doesn't know its
> there..
>

> --
> Ted Gervais
> Coldbrook, Nova Scotia
> Canada.

	Without knowing the hardware you're referring to, it is difficult to
say, but keep in mind the difference is largely the fundamental
philosophy.  M$ is the top dog, so manufacturers make sure that their
products run on it, and only some expend any effort to ensure that linux
will work.  Therefore much of what works, does so because someone who
wanted the hardware to work, found out how to accomplish that, and then
shared his knowledge with the rest of the world.

So if you want to be sure that hardware will work it is up to you to
either select hardware known to work or find out how to make it work.

Scott