Re: sendmail doesn't respond on heavy disk activity

Am Mi, den 16.06.2004 schrieb Marc Lucke um 15:38:

> If I use dvdauthor and then telnet to port 25, the port opens but the
> Daemon doesn't answer until dvdauthor is finished.  Since it isn't a cpu
> related but a disk thing, renicing doesn't help.  I think it might be a
> libata thing.  How can I get my system to accept email when I'm using
> dvdauthor or otherwise heavily utilising my drive?

You get no greating message by Sendmail or does it reject your attempt
with a temporary failure message (DSN 4.5.1)?

If its last, then you have a high load and you can adjust that Sendmail
behaviour in the sendmail.mc config file. If it really happens because
of disk activity then you have a really big problem. It would be good to
know whether the system runs FC1 or FC2 and which hardware you use.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 15:43:26 up 1 day, 12:10, load average: 1.13, 1.27, 1.25