Building a Fedora Beowulf

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Jun 16 13:19:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 15:59, Greg Swallow wrote:
> Got the boxes networked alright.
>
> Am bonded with eth0 and eth1 in both machines (192.168.2.0); eth2 in
> node1 goes to other half of network (192.168.1.0) and internet.
You don't need to use channel bonding to make a cluster with modern
machines.

Channel bonding was used by the original Beowulf team to overcome the
limitations of 10Mbps networking, back in the days when only this was
affordable.
These days most machines have 100Mbps built in, if not gigabit.
And small gigabit switches are cheap, if you just want a
proof-of-concept setup.
So I hate to say it, channel bonding is a bit of a red herring.