Where is the new FC1 kernel which fixes the local DoS as described in http://linuxreviews.org/news/2004-06-11_kernel_crash/index.html ?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 16 16:57:07 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta said:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:44:00 -0400 (EDT), William Hooper
> <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Jeff Spaleta said:
>>
>>> Did you drop a testing kernel notice in the test-list?
>>>

>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-June/msg00236.html
>>

>> Not an "official" announcement, but it was discussed in response to a
>> question about the issue and FC1.
>>

> Let me be blunt.... formalized testing release annoucements have value in
> communicating intent AND encouraging people who are willing to test
> updates to grab the ones the want to test.
> Comments in response to a question have less value as an effective general
> communication tool.
[snip]

I do agree with you in general.  In this specific case, though, the kernel is pushed to fix one issue.  The mail is in a thread asking when the kernel will be released to fix this issue.  If anyone were interested in it, they will probably be following that thread anyway.

That said, having the updates-testing in your sources list should be enough to let you know there are new packages out.  And during release development we certainly don't need a message for every package updated in rawhide (though I do like the daily mail and it should be sent to fedora-test-list at least during release testing).

Communication is a good thing, but let's not get bent out of shape over one or two missed announcements.

--
William Hooper