Promise RAID-1 vs software RAID-1

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jun 16 17:06:09 UTC 2004

At 10:39 6/16/2004, Alan Horn wrote:
>Raid 1 is mirroring only. For data integrity reasons I can't see how they
>could read from any but the master mirror.

WAG alert:

Once the two disks are synchronized, it sounds perfectly reasonable to
writes to take the same amount of time (since all data has to be written to
both drives), but for reads to be significantly faster by reading from both
spindles. There really is no "master" in an equal set of two, I think. Both
contain identical data, so you should be able to read from both. I think.

By the way, the Promise cards *are* software RAID... all the real RAID
computations are done by the driver using the computer's resources. The
trick is that the binary driver for Linux is probably less mature and less
flexible than Linux native software RAID, so I've always used Promise and
HighPoint controllers simply as additional EIDE/ATA controllers and used
Linux software RAID. Excellent results. Note that Linux software RAID is
also capable of RAID-5, IIRC, which the Promise drivers are not.

If you have the budget, I'd strongly recommend the 3Ware cards. Real
hardware RAID, native Linux kernel support since 2.2.x, fast, very
reliable, and not expensive.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz