nat masquerade router

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jun 16 17:20:51 UTC 2004

At 15:57 6/15/2004, fedora wrote:
>I'd appreciate the explanation, many thanks...

Well, dammnit... now I can't find it. Having used Shorewall for so long, I
forgot how to use the simple "iptables save" stuff by hand.

The short version is that when you execute the command "iptables-save" or
"service iptables save" it puts the rules somewhere in a file, which is
/etc/sysconfig/iptables in a default configuration. That file is in the
format that Erik gave you. When you later type "service iptables restore"
or "iptables-restore" it recreates firewall rules from that file.

In theory, you could just carefully copy Erik's configuration to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables and then do:

# service iptables stop
# iptables -F
# service iptables restore
# service iptables start

...and in theory it should work. There may be some mistakes in this
message, but overall it *is* a very simple process. Check the man pages for
iptables, iptables-save, and iptables-restore for more details, and I also
suggest you read through /etc/init.d/iptables (using "less" rather than
"vi" to avoid making changes inadvertently).

Yell if you need more help.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz