Re: nat masquerade router

At 15:57 6/15/2004, fedora wrote:
I'd appreciate the explanation, many thanks...

Well, dammnit... now I can't find it. Having used Shorewall for so long, I forgot how to use the simple "iptables save" stuff by hand.

The short version is that when you execute the command "iptables-save" or "service iptables save" it puts the rules somewhere in a file, which is /etc/sysconfig/iptables in a default configuration. That file is in the format that Erik gave you. When you later type "service iptables restore" or "iptables-restore" it recreates firewall rules from that file.

In theory, you could just carefully copy Erik's configuration to /etc/sysconfig/iptables and then do:

# service iptables stop
# iptables -F
# service iptables restore
# service iptables start

...and in theory it should work. There may be some mistakes in this message, but overall it *is* a very simple process. Check the man pages for iptables, iptables-save, and iptables-restore for more details, and I also suggest you read through /etc/init.d/iptables (using "less" rather than "vi" to avoid making changes inadvertently).

Yell if you need more help.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz