Promise RAID-1 vs software RAID-1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed Jun 16 17:25:01 UTC 2004

Alan,
   It's funny you mention reliability because the machine using
the Promise RAID drivers developed an issue with the Windows
partition today and has booted up a couple times reporting that
a RAID drive had failed. I am still trying to pin down if the
Promise controller is going or a drive since it seems to be
very random (ie it stopped reporting the RAID drive error).
Is it the Promise RAID driver itself that is considered buggy?
I ask because the other machine arrived with only Promise RAID
SATA ports (which I am using in Ultra DMA mode instead of
RAID mode through the Linux 2.6 promise-sata driver). Hopefully
the Promise chipset can be considered reliable in the simple
use as a simple SATA controller in combination with Linux
software RAID-1. On the other machine with the problem Promise
RAID at least I have the option of switching over to the
ICH5 based SATA.
                               Jack