SATA vs SCSCI RAID and LINUX

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jun 16 18:13:10 UTC 2004

At 15:27 6/15/2004, Mark Susol|Ultimate Creative Media wrote:
>I would want RAID-1 for mirroring ..but SATA costs << SCSCI costs and some
>say SATA is about as good as SCSCI now.

For single- and few-disk performance, yes. The trick is that SCSI disks are
essentially built much tougher in many ways and so they *are* superior in
an enterprise environment... it's not just about speed.

>DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON LINUX and SATA-RAID specifically what
>Distro are they using with what MoBO and chipset.

Personally, I don't worry so much about mobo. Just use something really
stable. 3Ware for RAID cards, RAID-1 at a minimum, RAID-5 if at *all*
possible, and RAID-10 (a RAID-5 array built from individual pairs of disks
in RAID-1 arrays) when I can afford it. With RAID-10, you'd have to lose at
least four drives to lose the array and you could theoretically lose half
your drives + one (one from each pair and the second drive in one pair) and
still be online.

And when I figure it out, using LVM to manage the partitions on that array
will likely make my life much easier. <grin>

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com