FC2 - anaconda - bootdisk creation

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 17 01:42:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 18:26, Carnal Ortega wrote:
> James,
>     I installed FC2 without a bootloader. After installation I booted
> with the CD into rescue mode, chroot /mnt/sysimage and then ran the
> mkbootdisk command. Now I can boot into my FC2 system with the floppy.
> I'm curious, how does this method differ from the past when it was done
> during the installation process?
>
>     You're not the first to cite the size of the kernel 2.6 as a reason
> why it was taken out of the install process but then wouldn't the
> post-install routine w/ mkbootdisk I performed, fail as well? I'm a
> little confused!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carnal

I haven't tried to make a boot disk for any versions of the 2.6 kernel.
I assume that the kernel would be pretty basic and not have many
functions/devices enabled.

I was wondering myself why the kernel is modular and cannot at least
load so far, then ask for disk 2 to continue the process.

I believe that the kernel feature for making a boot disk, which is fully
system functional, is what the previous make boot disk used to do.

Have you installed a kernel-2.6-BOOT kernel? Or are you successful
making this disk from a fully featured, all modules loaded kernel.

Jim