Users, Groups, and Sticky Bits, oh my!

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Thu Jun 17 05:46:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 05:38, John Nichel wrote:
> Let's say I have a directory named 'bob', owned by 'foo' and in the
> group 'bar', with rwxrwxr-w permissions.  How can I make it to where
> when a file/directory is created in the 'bob' directory is owned by
> 'foo' and in the group 'bar' with permissions of 664/775 no matter who
> creates the file/directory?

You can't do anything about the owner of the new files/directories,
it'll be whoever created them. However, you can propagate the group
ownership by setting the parent directory g+s, as in "chmod g+s bar" or
"chmod 2775 bar".

The file mode will not propagate to newly created files/directories,
it'll be determined by the umask of the creator.

Cheers
Steffen.