X server access FC2

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Thu Jun 17 06:00:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 07:46, David Carter wrote:
> Can anyone help me get a good Xwindows access to my FC2 machine remotely?  I
> am using SSHD and get access via Winaxe but this does not let me see my
> personal desktop.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "see my personal desktop". If you
want all your customisations and settings and such, starting a plain X
server on the local machine and then running something along the lines
of "ssh -f remotehost gnome-session" should do the trick. I haven't
tried that in a while, though, it could be that GNOME or KDE keep per
display settings or might surprise you in other ways...

If you want to access the *same* desktop you see on the console you may
find the new vnc module available in FC2 the way to go. Have a look at
http://www.realvnc.org/v4/x0.html for information on how to set it up.
You need to install the vnc-server package in FC2.

The VNC approach works very well for me, but be aware of potential
performance issues with running VNC via SSH over lossy links.

Cheers
Steffen.