Re: How to use kernel-2.6.6-1.435.src.rpm

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 15:26, clemens dwf com wrote:
> I can untar the source, but do I then apply the patches one
> by one?  Considering the naming convention that doesnt seem
> likely.  I would have expected  script or instructions in
> there somewhere explaining what to do with this to get the
> 435 sources.

Everything you could possibly want to do with the source rpm is built
into rpm/rpmbuild. Untarring, patching, configuring, compiling,
packaging. Read the manual pages.

However, if you just want to build a new kernel from source the package
you want is kernel-sourcecode-2.6.6-1.435.noarch.rpm. It'll put the 435
kernel into /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435/ where you can go about
configuring and compiling it, just like you would with an untarred
kernel source from kernel.org.

The kernel-*.src.rpm is meant for building a binary kernel package.

Cheers
Steffen.