Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:48:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Don Russell wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta said:
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:53:41 -0700 (PDT), Don Russell
>> <don at drussell.dnsalias.com> wrote:
>>> Here's how I see it working...
>>>
>>> When new packages are ready to be distributed....
>>> - reset the list of sites that serve up2date to the single master site
>>> - move new versions of the pakages to the master site.
>>> - start a cron job in xxx minutes (gives some mirrors a chance to
>>> re-synch)
>>>
>>> the cron job does:
>>> - for each mirror site (not already known to be synch'd)
>>>    - get directory listing
>>>    - compare to master directory listing
>>>    - if directory matches, site must be synch'd
>>>         - make mirror site eligible to participate in serving up2date
>>>
>>> After checking all mirrors, if one or more are still not synch'd,
>>> schedule
>>> the job again in xxx minutes
>>>
>>> If all mirrors are now synch'd, we're done.
>>>
>>> The whole design fits on a bar napkin.
>>>
>>> And very little bandwidth to accomplish it... up2date now only sees
>>> sites
>>> that are synch'd.... new mirror sites can be added dynamically as
>>> required.
>>>
>>> I LIKE it! :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Don Russell
>>
>> Hmm....can someone out in the community prototype this cronjob idea up.
>
> I wish my Linux programming skills were up to the task..... but hey! At
> least I came up with the IDEA/design... :-)
>
> But, that's what makes it a "community effort"...
>
> Cheers,
> Don

This is simpler then you show here. You can get the last update time from the modified header from the
repository:

$ telnet mirror.linux.duke.edu 80
HEAD http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header.info HTTP/1.1
^D

wget will return the header, but will also download the entire file...

ed

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open,
and unhindered encryption.