No permissions on home folder?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jun 17 15:55:41 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 17.06.2004 schrieb Gerald Stermsek um 11:41:

> Shortly after  installation of FC2 the symbols on my desktop for
> computer, my home and trash changed.
> They have a pencil behind a prohibition sign in their upper right corner.
> See also: http://nm.wu-wien.ac.at/nonsens/screenshot.jpg
>
> When clicking properties on my home folder the tab permissions says:
> "You are not the owner, so you can't change these permissions"
> But I can access all the items in these folders and change permissions.
>
> chown gerald:gerald -R gerald/
> and chmod 750 -R gerald/
>
> have not changed anything.
>
> My question: Is this a bug or is something wrong with my system?
>
> regards,
> Gerald

Did you add user gerald to group root? Revert it, no need for that. Use
"su -" or "sudo" instead.

As other answers already said, chmodding 750 to all content of $HOME is
not what is suggested in any way. Though such changes is not necessary
in your case, you may memorize the usage of find:

find /path/under/which/you/want/change/ -type d -exec chmod 750 {} \;
find /path/under/which/you/want/change/ -type -f -exec chmod 640 {} \;

First line matches directories, second files.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 17:51:45 up 2 days, 14:18, load average: 1.34, 1.23, 0.87