Changing from i586 to athlon kernel rpm in core 1

John L. Pierce bjjp at kvnet.org
Thu Jun 17 17:55:13 UTC 2004

Hello,

I originally installed core 1 2115.i586 on an AMD K6-2 500Mhz, which is
an i586 arch, I have since changed the underlying motherboard to an AMD
Athlon and I am trying to install 2188.athlon kernel rpm since I now
have an i686 or Athlon arch.

However, I keep getting this message from rpm:

package kernel-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl is intended for a athlon architecture

I would like to be able to change the kernel architecture but I have had
no luck with this.

I have used the --force option but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John