(no subject)

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 17 20:42:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:38:27AM +0200, David Balazic wrote:

> > Why don't you renice dvdauthor to a lower priority so that your mouse
> > and other bits of the OS can still function?
> > It worked beautifully. :-)
> > I used
> > renice 5 -p 3203 (3203 being the PID for mecoder at the time)
>
> Why doesn't Fedora work out of the box. Why should the user fix it ?
>
> And then people wonder why it is not a success on the desktop ...

In this specific case it appears that dvdauthor should have a built in
option to have mecoder make a system call to be less of a system
resource hog.  Linux/Unix has multiple ways to help this stuff.

You might file a request for enhancement in bugzilla against dvdauthor
to this end.  The system call is something like: "int nice(int 20);"

However, I suspect that the developers of dvdauthor are doing all that
they can to crank out the finished bits as fast as is possible.  To
this end I suspect that they ignore other interactive system needs and
attempt to use all of the machine that they can get.  This is
obviously not what you want so file an RFE to express your bias and
needs in this regard.  To support the current developers bias I have
seen numerous posts looking for ways to speed up things.  Implicit in
your comment is a request to constrain processing.

Since this is an open source world you can test my assertion in a
couple ways.  1) build  your own binary with nice() in it or 2)
use a shell wrapper that does a /bin/nice thing.

>From a command line:

      # nice dvdauthor

If you are a point and click type, look at the icon launcher's
properties you can add "/bin/nice" in front of the command.

These things/ tests validate that it solves your problem and the
developers will be more motivated to address your RFE.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l