FC2 Issues

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Thu Jun 17 22:59:31 UTC 2004

Edward Croft wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 10:10, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>

>><snip for brevity>
>>

>>Fedora is a part of the Linux community. Red Hat specifically says "Fedora
>>is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc." Red Hat *is* the driving force
>>behind Fedora, and this is one of the ways in which they help the Linux
>>community while also helping themselves. But do not confuse this with "they
>>make it, therefore they're entirely responsible for it." Simply not true.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>

>>--
>>Rodolfo J. Paiz
>>

>Intellectually, this sounds great. And intellectually it is true. I made
>the comment earlier, that this does indeed reflect on Red Hat. Not
>because they are responsible, but because they are associated. While
>within this forum we acknowledge that Fedora is leading edge and as such
>may suffer some setbacks/bugs. However, the news and trade rags
>associate Fedora with Red Hat. Indeed, to borrow from the Linux Show,
>"some clueless pundits" call it Red Hat Fedora. So it becomes guilt by
>association. So if Fedora gets a black eye, Red Hat shares in that. Do
>you think that Eweek understands that it is a testing ground and leading
>edge, community supported?
>While I agree that Fedora is community supported and leading edge, thus
>prone to bugs, etc, the general public may not. I also agree that Fedora
>should never be used for production machines unless fully tested and
>with the caveat that you are on your own. The OP was expressing
>frustration. Granted it was not prudent to put Core 2 in a
>production/workplace environment without thorough testing first, but
>sometimes, we have to let people blow off steam a bit. Then we can talk
>to them rationally. Try to sort things through. I was hit with the XP
>issue and Sean very nicely helped me with some debugging. We did finally
>after jumping through many hoops get it to boot to XP. Unfortunately, XP
>still won't boot, but at least it gets to the ntloader. I use Core 2 at
>home and work. I like it. There are some bugs with it, not sure if it is
>because of things I did or Core 2, but I am working through it.
>Fedora is a great product. I support it as best I can. Red Hat is to be
>commended. But they also need to be wary of any major issues with Fedora
>as the trade rags do associate Red Hat and Fedora and it will reflect on
>them. Just another angle to look at.
>Ed.

Unfortunately you're right in many ways, Ed, I think.  In a world where
perception is everything and the truth does not matter and gap that's
open for people to spread misinformation is an opportunity for the
social engineers and the ignorant alike to work their fud magic.  It is
a sad thing, but because some people cannot be bothered to read a single
web page the potential end result is that the public has to miss out on
things like FC2.  But isn't it always the way?  The voice of the few
stuffing it up for the many because of dispersal of responsibility (i.e.
someone else is bound to do it).

As far as what my voice counts, I say "to hell" with those that are
looking for commercial products for nothing and that I would fight for
(within reason) the Fedora project to stay *exactly* like it is.

Coud you image Microsoft making their longhorn publically available so
that when it realeases it as a commercial product it is more or less
bug-free and extremely easy & stable?  Don't think so.  There marketing
arm would never go for that.