FSCK

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 18 00:18:05 UTC 2004

littleguru wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have several questons:
> 1-when I  start mylinux server and it said that it was not shutdown
> properly , do you want to check ?
> but I ran fsck manually before and it shouldn't ask me any more. is
> there any difference between fsck at startup and the one I ran in
> maintenance mode, because the server couldnt boot and entered in
> maintenace mode.

The easiest way to force your computer to do a filecheck is to run the
below command as root.

shutdown now -Fr

This will reboot your computer, then force a filecheck.

Dropping into maint. mode could be caused by trying to mount a volume in
/etc/fstab as a type that it is not. I believe setting the last two
numbers to anything but zeroes will drop you to the shell.

> 2-In maintenance mode is it necessary to umount the device ?and how
> can I find that which device is mounted ?

Run the command mount. This will give you an output with the currently
mounted filesystems. I unmount the filesystems that I try to check. I
believe that you will be prompted to unmount the partition before fscking.

As for 3 and 4, no real suggestions.