Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Fri Jun 18 02:37:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Ed K. wrote:
>> This is simpler then you show here. You can get the last update time from
>> the modified header from the
>> repository:
>>
>> $ telnet mirror.linux.duke.edu 80
>> HEAD
>> http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header.info
>> HTTP/1.1
>> ^D
>>
>> wget will return the header, but will also download the entire file...
>>

> Damn.. If you talked about it before , I wouldnt have to implement a html
> parser for the indexes , which is what I've done... :'(
> Guess I'll simply dump it then , because parsing the header.info file looks
> like a easier way to do it. (I had to implement three parsers: one for http
> indexes , other for ftp indexes and one for the redhat http index)
> I'll try to finish the test code tonight (as things got simpler now) and I
> post when I have a prototype.

Sorry for the delay.... But I was specifically recommending that you issue
a HEAD command to a http mirror. This would be simpler then parsing the
actual header.info

{here starts a flame war}
actually, I would encourage the use of only http mirrors, there is better
support for caching when using proxy server. And, there is no support for
the HEAD command for an ftp serfer. You software must support proxy server.

ed

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open,
and unhindered encryption.