Disk Cleanup

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 03:33:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 14:04, Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic -
Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Being sort of a newbie to Linux, I was wondering if someone could post
> some hints as to what is the best way to free up space on a disk. I find
> myself  running out of disk space and would like to remove any
> uncessesary junk left over from upgrades, kernel builds, software
> installations, etc. Is there a good tutorial somwhere which tells me
> what I can delete and what not?

You can remove old kernels by using:
rpm -e kernel-2.(the old versions)
Run rpm -qa|grep kernel
to see what old kernels you have.
Run uname -r
to get your current kernel.

When I get around to cleaning things up, I like to leave at least the
previous one and, of course, the current one.

I believe that rpm -e will also clean up grub.
--
Clifford Snow