Re: Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 21:04 6/17/2004, Ed K. wrote:

I can't wait for ftp to retire for organized archives. http and bittorrent
should be all that is needed. no http header equivalent for ftp.

Just curious... I thought FTP was significantly more efficient for transferring files...? Yes/no/why?

Cheers,

FTP sucks for transferring many files. HTTP has something chunked transfers or something (?) and persistent connections and you don't need to worry about passive or active or firewalls, binary or text or anything. P2P technology is even better because everyone is the server. FTP is still OK, I guess, for large file transfer.

Marc