fedora-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 287

Anand Buddhdev anand at celtelplus.com
Fri Jun 18 12:16:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:05:32AM -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:

> That's not quite correct -- the Palm will always use the same USB
> channel, but which channel you need to point to (ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1)
> depends on the OS of the device you're using.  For example, on my m505,
> it was ttyUSB1, but on my T|T and T|T3,  it's ttyUSB0.
>
> The easiest way to see if everything is working is to kill gnome-pilot
> (do a "ps auwx | grep gpil" and kill whatever tasks return, then do the
> following:
>
> 1. type "pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l" into a shell, but *don't* press
> return
> 2. hit the HotSync button on your handheld
> 3. press return
>
> If the contents of your handheld are listed, you've made a good
> connection.
>
> One thing to watch out for is that you've done a "chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB
> [01]"... otherwise the permissions won't let you sync as a regular user.

I prefer to add my username to the uucp group. That allows me to use
all the /dev/tty* devices without having to change any permissions.
That is why, in fact, the tty devices have a group ownership of uucp.

As root:

# usermod -G uucp <username>

In general, I don't recommend that people change the permisisons of
files and devices on their system unless they really need to. In most
cases, a cleaner solution exists.

--
Anand Buddhdev
Celtel International