Automating use of new kernel

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Thu Jun 17 20:12:07 UTC 2004

Hello,

I like to keep up with new kernel releases, especially if they fix
security issues or other bugs.

However, I am getting tired of all the manual updates I need to do with
each new kernel.  So I am asking for advice on automating these tasks.

Here is what I have to do now:

1) Add NTFS support.  Usually go to the linux-ntfs project and get an
RPM.  Could also recompile the kernel with NTFS added.

2) Recompile and set up the Cisco VPN software.

3) Reset the Broadcom driver (the tg3 driver still doesn't work with the
Cisco VPN software).  Doing it from scratch means installing the source
RPM, going through steps to rpmbuild the binary RPM, then installing the
new RPM.

4) Reinstalling the NVIDIA driver (which I haven't been doing lately
because of needing 8K stacks *and* NTFS support).

In particular, if anyone has done something similar, I would love to
modify as needed.  I would need:
	o) sufficient robustness to recover from failures (say, when things
don't work the same going from 2.4 to 2.6).
	o) Some way to identify that a new kernel is installed (presumably
using uname or the like).
	o) Retrieving stuff from the Internet, like a new linux-ntfs project
RPM that matches the new kernel (or identifying it isn't yet available,
possibly before doing anything else).

Thanks.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own