Re: Pipe Output of ls -lR into a tar archive

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 11:23, Ed K. wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
I need help,

	EIther google isn't finding the stuffs or my search terms are too
muddled.

I just want to create a tar archive from a directory file listing.

something like

ls -laR ~/the/dir/to/list | tar -cvf - /tmp/tarred-dir-list.tar.gz

I can't seem to find the correct syntax

I think you are looking for something like:

find ~/the/dir/to/list -type f | tar -cvf /tmp/tarred-dir-list.tar.gz -T -

This didn't work either. End up with the same problem as Alexander's suggestion.

I only want the directory listing. I do not want to tar up the files too

hum, then try:

find ~/the/dir/to/list -type d | tar -cvf /tmp/tarred-dir-list.tar.gz -T - --no-recursion

This just gives me directory names. What about the files in it? If I use -type f I get a complete tar!

I'm not sure any more what you want. Are you sure you want to use tar? Just to save a directory listing, a single file, could be done with:

ls -laR ~/the/dir/to/list | gzip > /tmp/dir-list.gz

tar is used to backup files.

ed

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open, and unhindered encryption.