Re-Order Nic Cards

David Both david at both.org
Fri Jun 18 20:03:01 UTC 2004

There are a couple ways.

The brute force way is to physically remove all NICs, reboot, and allow Kudzu to
remove configs for all three. Then reinstall the cards, allow Kudzu to
reconfigure the cards, and enter the correct IP addresses, etc.

The better way is to edit the ifcfg-ethx files which are located in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. The sample (filename = ifcfg-eth0) below shows
what I am talking about.

# Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
HWADDR=00:50:8D:4A:0C:30
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

Backup all the  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx scripts. Stop all
devices with ifdown, or stop the network service. Change the device line and the
file name of each of these files to match what you want. For example if you want
this device to be eth2, change the filename to ifcfg-eth2, and the device line
to DEVICE=eth2.

Then restart the network, or the individual devices using ifup.

That should take care of it.

--

David P. Both
Let us use our minds, not our weapons.