AMD 64 and FC2?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 18 22:56:59 UTC 2004

Mark A. Fuller wrote:
> Can anyone tell me about running FC2 on an AMD 64? I am curious if it is stable and how much loss of application availability I will notice. Does everything run on it that runs on the normal x86 distribution? Most important to me are Apache web server, MySql, Perl and ImageMagic.
>
> I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard and wouldn't mind trying AMD 64 if FC2 works well on it.

It works OK but not great.  There are some glitches with it (missing
links for Qt libraries and several other things of that nature).  Some
userland-stuff like Mozilla is compiled for 64-bits so 32-bit helper
apps don't work (such as java and the like).

Unless you're a techie and like debugging weirnesses, I wouldn't use it
just yet.  They don't bother me so much as I am a geek and am using it
for development and experimental work.

I'm using an Athlon64 3000+ on an Asus K8V-SE mobo with 512MB of DDR3200
RAM.  The Marvell gigabit LAN driver is severely weirded out.  I'm in
contact with Marvell and we're trying to sort out the problem, but the
stupid thing logs an error message once every 10 seconds about its
inability to read some stupid ROM signature.  It's not fatal, but it
fills up the logs quickly and slows the machine down.  I've reverted
to disabling the built-in NIC and use an Intel gigabit NIC in a PCI
slot.  Grrrr!
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -