New KDE Desktop shortcut creates broken gnome shortcut

If I create a KDE shortcut such as a Desktop link to my c:Windows folder I
get a broken folder appearing on the Gnome desktop. Is there some way to
either get these 2 to work together or prevent one from trying to copy the
other. I think there must be some .init file to configure in user desktop
perhaps.

Thanks.