Fedora & MAYA (Graphic Application)

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 19 20:57:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 10:32:39AM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> somu wrote:
>

> >AMD64 processor 3200+
> >Nvidia GForce Fx 5200
> >After doing inhouse benchmarking we found out that MAYA has good speed
> >comparable with RH9, but i have a problem in OpenGL.
> you forgot to tell us what is the problem you're having with opengl....

OK AMD64 is key.

If you are running the 64bit version of FC2 and nVidia drivers the
issue is 99 44/100% in the hands of nVidia.  Your OpenGL library was
authored by nVidia and none of us have the source to help you debug it
or the driver.  In the 64 bit world I do not believe that there is a
stack size mismatch to contend with.

If you are running the 32bit version of FC2 you need to be running a
special kernel with 8K stacks for the current nVida closed source
accelerated driver to function correctly.

If your are running the open source driver FC2/32bit or FC2/64bit and
the Mesa OpenGL library then you need to get more specific.  However,
as far as I know the Mesa OpenGL library and the open source driver
should function, just slowly (1/10th the speed).

Of interest the folks at MAYA (Alias/Wavefront) have a lot of clout in
the 3D community.  Call your MAYA sales rep and partner for a
solution.  Again no one here has source to MAYA to assist you in
generating a test case.

So what does this command return:

    grep -i Driver /etc/X11/*conf*

I expect one of these

        Driver      "nv"       # unaccelerated open source
        Driver      "vesa"     # unaccelerated open source
        Driver      "nvidia"

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l