No sound after upgrade fc1 to fc2

Steven J. Brown sbrown3 at optonline.net
Sat Jun 19 21:24:01 UTC 2004

Keith wrote:

>>I performed an upgrade installation of my system from Fedora Core 1 to
>>Fedora Core 2.  After doing so, my system no longer plays sounds.  I
>>tried various file formats.  The sound detection program detected my
>>sound card as model "82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio Controller" module
>>"snd-intel8x0", but produces no sound when I click "Play test sound".
>>
>>I would like to avoid doing a new installation, if possible.  How can I
>>get my sound card working.
>>

> Everything in FC2 is controlled by alsamixer. The GUI's volume controls
>provided in FC2 do not work so make changes on the command line with
>alsamixer, see man alsamixer for instructions.

The volume controls in kmix (GUI) seemed to work once I un-muted
everything with alsamixer.  How all devices became muted (set to
'[Off]') is beyond me. It would be nice if the sound card detection
utility could notify the user that some/all devices are muted.  Or, at
the very least, inform the user about alsamixer.  I tried sndconfig,
which apparently no longer works.

Thanks for your help, Keith.