Connection problems

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 20 00:20:44 UTC 2004

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently get my broadband through Blueyonder in the UK. This goes from the cable modem into my router which then distributes around the house.
>
> Since about 11pm on Thursday, I've had connection problems on the linux boxes (this email is via webmail on my RISC PC - which shows by virtue of being able to connect to my webmail account, there is nothing wrong with the router).
>
> I'm getting this
>
> If I use a terminal window and type
>
> ping ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk
>
> This appears
>
> PING ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk (146.87.55.6) 56(84) bytes of data
>>From 192.168.2.103 icmp_seq=0 Destination host unreachable
>
> And that's it. The name has been correctly resolved, but nothing else is happening.
>
> I've tried turning off IPV6, moving down a kernel version or two (tried .411 and .422 (I think) with no difference), removed the firewall and done a number of resets. No difference.
>
> The wife is really getting at me over this, so any advice would be helpful.
>
> It may be of some use, but if I alter the network settings using neat and try to reactivate, I get an error SIOADDRT (file already exists). This may have something to do with it, but I doubt it.
>
> Any suggestions as to a remedy or which log file to search to see if I can spot the problem would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me nuts not being able to use my Linux machines online!!!!
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Using neat, there is a check/ uncheck item that asks to resolve dns
automatically. I made sure that it was checked for the ethernet device
and restarted network services. Before selecting this choice, I had an
ip address and could not get any internet site.

Maybe, maybe not a resolution to your woes.

Jim

--
It's lucky you're going so slowly, because you're going in the wrong
direction.