tail of two scsis

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jun 20 04:13:32 UTC 2004

Richard Emberson wrote:

> Well riddle me this:
>
> Last night I turned on the machine and the bios magically found the
> second scsi disk, disk B.
> (I spent the next hour backing it up onto other systems :-)
>
> So, the disk kind of comes and goes; sometimes its there and sometimes
> its not.
>
> Richard

So it seems confirmed, the drive is dead.  Sometimes it spins up and
other times no-go.

Certain models of seagate drives were known for excess sticktho for a
while.  After being used a while they would not spin after a power down
until they had been rapped vigorously to free the heads from the disks.

You may be seeing a similar action.

In any case, with it not reliable, ditch it.