top

Fons van der Beek fons at so-o.nl
Sun Jun 20 10:16:38 UTC 2004

> > > I think you want to press the i key to toggle display of idle
processes.

> > > I believe that option by default hides idle processes.
> > >
> > > Check the man page for top it has a much better explanation of that
> > > option.  I believe you can also use a -i option when you start top to
> > > toggle this at startup.
> > >

> > I'am really sorry, the overall cpu usage is 95% user and 5% system usage
> > But all processes together dont come near the summ ................(also
not
> > with i pressed)
> >
> > I realy don't get it.... I'am converting emails, mozzilla, dbmail (mysql
> > database) but i don't see them
> > i has been pressed, u with blank has been pressed, sorted on cpu % but
> > no............I don't get it
>
> Is it always showing 95% utilization? It has been my experience that
> many processes on Linux systems are very short-lived; shorter than the
> cycle time of top. This is especially true for any machine with a
> multi-gigahertz CPU.

Pentium 4 celeron / 768 MB memory

> When I run make on a large software package, it is obvious from its
> output that there are many invocations of the compiler, and the total
> CPU usage is quite high, but I may not see any process in top with
> greater than 5% CPU. They all (most all) complete between cycles of top,
> therefore top will not see those processes. top takes a snapshot of the
> system at the time it wakes up. Any process that exits prior to a
> snapshot will not be reported by top.

I never expierenced that while making files I allways had (on Redhat 8.0 2.4
kernel) a good summ of
the cpu %  of each process

> Perhaps you need to look at the rate of process creation: gkrellm can do
> this.

I looked at gkrellm, I guess (not complety sure if i interpret the graph ok)
that i have 6 forks pro second.
i still cant explain why there is such a enormous difference between
CPU-usage overall and cpu usage
for the main processes, i'am checking in data and mysqld has 0% CPU
utilization.......

Do you know of any other tools which show cpu usage for each process?

With kind regards
Fons van der Beek